Thursday, October 05, 2006

A little more history


Recently my wife and I passed through Georgetown, Colorado, on our way home from a weekend getaway. Well, I decide to find the house that my mom spent her early years in. This was in the mid-40's to the early-50's. They lived on the edge of the mountain, right next to what was then, the city jail. Next to here, is a picture of the house, and believe it or not, it looks almost identicle to when my mom lived there (or so she says). She also says that she remembers it being much bigger when she lived there! My great grandma also lived in Georgetown, in a smaller house down the street, though I don't remember exactly where is was.

My grandpa owned and operated the local newspaper during his tenure there. I don't know the exact dates, but after a bit, he sold that, and started a printing company in Denver, where he made his fortune. My mom remembers traveling to the big city of Idaho Springs to go to the movies, or a night out on the town. Of course, this was all long before the interestate system, much less a good highway system in the mountains, so a trip to Denver was an all day adventure at best, and wasn't done often. After a few years of my grandpa commuting to Denver, they finally sold both Georgetown houses, and all moved to Denver.

No comments: